Sunday, December 11, 2011

Winter Inside, Winter Outside





Last week was one of the most full-of-things weeks I've had in years. Seriously a gig of some sort every night and not a lot of sleep in between. One of the highlights was getting to do two shows with Love Of Everything, my homies from Chicago. We had a sick Toledo one night/Detroit the next mini-tour, and it made me wish deeply I could have been out with them the entire time. I played shows with them first in 2003, and the band has morphed many times as our paths continually crossed since then. My friend Cole Rabenort came along with me to the Detroit gig and took the photos you see above. Note the beer-can Xmas tree in the Garden Bowl where we jammed.

This fall I've been getting back into playing some more stripped-down, bummed-out solo songs, and have been working on recording all the new ones. The extremely talented Brook Davis (who recorded the Billowing record last year, as well as some yet-to-be-released krautrock style sessions) has been meeting with me after hours and working deep into the night on these sessions, and we're moving on to mixing now. There's Brook above, making sure the microphone is placed juuuuusssttt so... The record doesn't have a title yet, but is going to be released sometime next year on NYC label Ernest Jenning Record Co.

Here is a rough mix of a song I recorded during these sessions. It's a cover of my bestie and sometimes bandmate Kelly Jean Caldwell's recent mega-weeper "Water Inside Water Outside". Her version is better, but this one has a vibe of some sort, too.
"Water Inside Water Outside" (Kelly Caldwell cover)

4 comments:

  1. ... and thanks for another year of great music! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great! beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can hear the christmas lights. turn up all the lights !

    ReplyDelete